Thursday, November 12, 2009

Do-Re-Mi

Ellie came home from preschool on Tuesday and we started eating lunch like we always do. All of a sudden she started humming and singing Do-Re-Mi from the musical, The Sound of Music. I was surprised. I had never sung that to her, nor have I ever shown her the movie. Of course, I realized that she must have learned it in preschool. I asked her about it and sure enough she'd learned it there.

I felt so horrible. Anyone who knows me knows that I love musicals and The Sound of Music is by far my favorite of all time. I should have been the one to introduce Ellie to it, not someone else. How could I have let this one slide?

So of course I took her right down to the tv and put in my VHS copy of The Sound of Music and we watched the movie from the Do-Re-Mi song to Edlwiess. She sat in my lap as we watched and I gave her a simplified version of the story, leaving out the Nazis and all that stuff. I admit I got a little teary eyed we sat and watched. It's probably just pregnancy hormones. But still it was tender to share with Ellie one of the things that has brought me such great joy in my life. I'm going to have to start thinking of ways to introduce more and more musicals to her.

No comments: