The past two Monday nights in a row Matt has worked late - meaning that I have had nothing better to do than watch Dancing With the Stars.* Here are my thoughts on the show.
First, while I am not a fan of reality shows in general, I find that I am at least slightly interested in this one, as opposed to American Idol. I think it has to do with the fact that I think it's actually harder to ballroom dance than to sing. That's probably because singing comes a lot easier for me than dancing does - so I'm really impressed by people who can learn a difficult dance routine and not so much by someone who can sing a song. (I mean really, lots of people sing in the shower, but who goes around dancing the foxtrot?) Plus I took ballroom dance classes in college and I know how hard it is to learn these dances - it's nothing to shake a stick at.
Even if I do get some enjoyment out of watching this show, I have to say that I think too many of their stars are washed up or not stars at all. I mean really - what makes Heather Mills a star other than the fact that she was married to a Beatle? Nothing!! She's not a star. She's an interesting person, and it's particularly impressive that she is dancing with a prosthetic leg, but she's not a star. Other "stars" that are washed up - Shandi - former Miss USA?, Billy Ray Cyrus (so 1990s), Ian from 90210 (at least I knew who he was).
As for the actual competition this season - I think it's fairly obvious right now that popularity is beating out talent to some extent. I mean really, why is Billy Ray Cyrus still in the competition? But I'm sure over time they'll be left with the really talented dancers - Laila Ali, Ian Ziering, Joey Fantone, and my personal favorite Apollo Anton Ohno.
That's all I have to say right now. It's probably too much anyway.
*That in and of itself is embarrassing. Surely, I can find other things to do like cleaning my very messy house, but I'm just too lazy right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment