Thursday, April 05, 2007

Why I Love the Cherry Blossoms

The cherry blossoms are out in DC and are, as usual, beautiful. Ellie and I headed out to the Tidal Basin to see them on Tuesday. Even Matt escaped from the office for a little while to join us. It was great. I love visiting the cherry blossoms for many reasons. They're beautiful. They come just as spring is beginning - and I'm always soooo ready for warm weather after winter. I love the contrast of gorgeous pink blossoms and the white marble monuments around them - the Jefferson Memorial, the Washington Monument. Going there, even with the crowds, is peaceful to me - reminds me of how grateful I am for the freedoms I enjoy.

The blossoms also remind of the incredible women who were my roommates here in DC now some 3+ years ago. We used to take an early morning jog around the Tidal Basin when the blossoms were in full bloom (the best time to do it by the way - if you want to avoid the crowds). It was just a fun thing we did. I love these women. They were my support and family here in DC and shaped me in so many ways. It's nice to have a place to go to, to bring back happy memories.

No comments: