Monday, July 23, 2007

Because I Feel Guilty

There is just no time write anything really coherent as I have way too much reading to do. But I feel guilty writing nothing so here's a fast review.

After searching through no less than SEVEN stores, I found the shoes I was looking for. And they were even on clearance for only $20 at JCPenney (my new favorite store). What a happy ending. And I even got to wear them to church on Sunday, yippie! Still haven't thrown away the ones - I'll get around to it.

I finished Book 5 of the Harry Potter series and am now about 100 pages into Book 6. I'm terrified to talk to anyone about Book 7 for fear that they've already read it and they will ruin it for me. If you are one of those people, please don't talk to me. I hope to have Book 6 done by Thursday or so and then I can settle into Book 7, which I have hidden in a cedar chest to avoid temptation getting the better of me - I'm afraid I will just give up on Book 6 and jump right into 7 before I'm done.

Matt probably thinks it's too late to do this and I really wanted to wait until I had finished Book 6 before I made any predictions on the contents of Book 7, but I feel that I need to make a few now or no one will believe that I didn't just make it up.

Bear in mind that I'm not done with Book 6, but here's what I have so far.

Snape is totally evil. I've tried and tried to figure out a way wherein Snape isn't evil, but I just can't do it. This makes me very sad, because I think it reveals a major flaw in the series in general which is that there are no redeemed characters. It seems that of those who were alive when Voldemort was in power first - all of them retain their original allegiance. They are either always good or bad, no one changed from the "dark side" as it were. Now there is a hint that Sirius Black's brother, Regulus, did indeed change and begin fighting Voldemort (which I hope is true), but still up to this point no one has redeemed themselves and I believe that such a character is necessary to the whole plot and am disappointed that it's not Snape - as much as I don't like him anyway.

Dumbledore has to be redeemed. As Matt continues to say, his sign is the Phoenix. He's not done yet. I don't knowif that means he's not really dead. But I do think it means that he plays heavily in the next book. He let himself get killed to easily - it was like watching the Jedi die in Episode III of the Star Wars trilogy. Come on, they were the greatest warriors ever and they just got shot by blasters? As if.

I've been vacillating over whether Harry is a horcrux or not and I just cannot say. Either way, I can't make a prediction about whether he lives or not. I want him to, but I also have a feeling that Rowling wanted to prevent any further books and so she killed him off. If that has happened, then my one guess is that Harry is the last horcrux left of Voldemort, meaning that Voldemort can only exist through him and therefore he asks Hermione and Ron to kill him, thereby killing Voldemore as well. Who knows if I'm right on this one. But I hope I'm wrong, because I would rather that Harry be able to kill Voldemort and live happily ever after with his friends, Ron and Hermione.

Oh and while I am on horcruxes, as I was reading Book 5, I stumbled upon something that I am sure will come up on Book 7. At the end of Book 6, Harry and Dumbledore go to a cave to destroy a horcrux (a locket) but Harry realizes later that it was an impostor for the real one and that it was destroyed by an unknown character with the initials RAB. I believe that RAB was Sirius's brother, Regulus and that the locket is in #12 Grimmuald Place. As Harry and the others are cleaning the house in Book 5, they find tons of old things including a locket that "no one could open." It was just briefly mentioned, but I am sure that it the same locket that Harry and Dumbledore were searching for in Book 6. There, that's probably the only thing I'm right on.

That's all. I have no more to say and seriously no time to be writing this anyway - Book 6 is beckoning. Happy reading!

No comments: