Thursday, July 05, 2007

Happy Fourth!

We had a great 4th of July yesterday. It started for me with a trip to the gym. Then we headed out to the Nationals vs. Cubs game. It was a lot of fun. This was Ellie's first baseball game. Too bad she wasn't at all thrilled with it. She was pleasant enough, but we had to take her out to walk around every other inning.* The weather was perfect, I couldn't believe our luck. It was cool and breezy and we were in the shade for almost the entire game. Plus the Nationals won and even had a grand slam halfway through the game. Wahoo!

After the game, we headed home and attempted to get Ellie to nap. For dinner, we ditched staying inside and cooking and headed to our favorite pizza place, Generous George's Positive Pizza and Pasta Place. I've never seen it so empty, but I was thrilled that they were open.

Finally, we ended the day by watching the fireworks in DC, NYC and Boston on the TV. Luckily they show each performance in succession, so we could watch each of them. I always love the Boston show the best, for one main reason. The music that they play during the fireworks always coordinates with the fireworks. For instance, last night when they played the Sesame Street song, they shot off fireworks that made happy faces in the sky, and the numbers 1, 2 & 3. They also had fireworks that made red hearts during Unchained Melody. And on and on. It's a little thing, but it makes the viewing much more enjoyable. I don't know why every fireworks show can't do that. It's not that hard. Go Boston!

*Next time I think we will get a sitter. I am going to hold to my usual rule (this in of itself merits its own post but not right now) which is don't take your kid to any major outing that you want to do unless they can verbally request to come. I mean really, she didn't want to be there and she would have been much happier taking her afternoon nap (which she skipped) than going to the game with us. Call me a mean mom, but I tell you all of us are happier when she gets her nap and she'll never remember whatever experience she misses out on anyway.

No comments: