Tuesday, July 17, 2007

An Open Apology to my Bookclub

Well, it was inevitable. With the 7th Harry Potter book due out this weekend, I have found myself drastically behind in my effort to reread the first 6 books. I am currently about 200 pages into the 5th book, which is the longest with some 870 pages. Even with reading every chance I get, I have finally realized that there is no way I will be finished with 5 and 6 before Saturday. I have just resigned myself to the fact that I will have to put off reading the new one until I have. I'm sure that Matt is thrilled with my failure, as it means he gets first dibs on our copy. Oh well.

The other unintended consequence is that I have failed to read the past two books for my bookclub. I am in a bookclub with some wonderful women whom I don't see on a regular basis, so I always love coming to our meetings as it gives me a chance to catch up with their lives and gain fresh perspectives on things. I usually enjoy most of the books we've read. The one we are reading for this month is one I have been wanting to read and I have even borrowed the book from a generous friend. Now, I do still have time to read it; it's short and our meeting is on Thursday. But here's my dilemma - do I take the day it will take to read the bookclub book so I will be prepared to discuss it, putting me even further behind in my Harry Potter reading? Or do I just skim it a little bit before the meeting and continue my long quest to finish Harry Potter? I just don't know. Such a sad situation to be in.

I should've known this would happen. I feared that it might. Who knows what I will decide to do. But I only have days to make the decision. If only I was a faster reader and could lock myself up in my room for the next four days. But alas, I am dreadfully slow and there is this very cute little sweetie who doesn't really let me read when she's around. Such is life. I'll let you know what happens. In the meantime, all you Harry Potter fans out there, I beg you, please do not tell me anything about Book 7!!!! Kindly have the heart to keep me in ignorance. I would do the same for you, I promise!

No comments: