Saturday, July 14, 2007

Sometimes Store Bought is Better

We have a church activity tonight to celebrate our pioneer heritage. There will be relay races, a parade of bikes decorated as covered wagons, softball and other fun things. But cutting to the most important part, there will also be refreshments. Specifically, ward members have been asked to bring homemade ice cream. In fact, the activities leader has been very adamant that only homemade ice cream should be brought, no store bought ice cream allowed.

When I heard this request, I was saddened. I am probably the only person in the world who actually dislikes homemade ice cream. I just don't like it and I don't see why other people like it. It's runny and melts too fast, it's often grainy. It just an inferior product, there's no way around it. In my humble opinion, it is absolutely subpar to any ice cream you can get at the store. I prefer ice cream that is firm and creamy and I've never in all of my years of homemade ice cream exposure tasted ice cream that was nearly as good as the store bought kind.

When I made my opinion known to one of the women at church, she announced that now she was determined to make sure I had her own homemade ice cream, which she claims is better than any other. So tonight, I will go to the activity and I will certainly sample her best efforts. But I have a feeling that I will still return home and crack open the yummy store bought ice cream I have in my freezer and find it to be far more superior. Am I the only one that feels this way? If so, what is wrong with the rest of you?

No comments: