Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Search for Shoes

I have these Sunday shoes that are truly about the most ragged pair of shoes in the world. They are about 9 or 10 years old. They are also the only church sandals that I own. They desperately need to be replaced. I haven't replaced them for several reasons - first, it costs money and we could spend our money on more important things than shoes. Second, I am incredibly picky when it comes to shoes and it takes forever for me to find a pair that I like.


I recently saw a statistic in a magazine that said the average number of shoes a woman owns is 37. I am not that woman. Throughout the year, I basically wear 5 pairs of shoes.


A walking sandal for Monday through Saturday in the warm months.

A comfy walking shoe for Monday through Saturday in the cooler months.

My raggedly pair of Sunday sandals for church in the warm months.

A black pair of Sunday shoes for the colder months.

And my sneakers for the gym year round.


I do have a few other pairs of shoes, but I rarely ever wear them. Though I admit to having some rockin' black leather boots that I like wear on occasion in the winter. But other than that, I am not a big shoe collector.*


But on Sunday as I was putting on my dilapidated church sandals I realized that something really needed to be done. They are just in pathetic shape. Matt agreed wholeheartedly. "But it will cost money," I said. "Shelly, we can afford you spending $30 or $40 on a new pair of shoes," was his reply.


So Ellie and I made our first stop in my new search for Sunday shoes Monday at DSW warehouse. I don't know how it is possible, but despite the fact that there were probably THOUSANDS of shoes to choose from - none of them fit the criteria I was looking for. Not a single one. All I want is a basic dress sandal in either beige or brown with a solid chunky heel and a strap that is of course, comfy. But there was nothing like that to be had. What a sad way to begin the search.

And yesterday we stopped at three more shoe stores. Again nothing. Who knows how this search will continue. I think we're hitting Rack Room Shoes today. This is why I hate shopping for shoes!




*Contrast that with my sister, who brought at least three pairs of Sunday shoes for her recent two week visit with us. I don't know how we can be related.

No comments: