We really didn't celebrate Columbus Day yesterday. Matt had to go into work (despite the fact that he is supposed to have it off, but that's another story). Anyway, I was so unaware of it being a holiday that Ellie and I made the trip to mailbox to get the mail. At first, I was surprised that our box was empty. We always get mail - mostly junk mail, but we always have some. Then I remembered that it was a holiday and I felt pretty foolish. Oh well.
Anyway, that reminded me that the best place to live and work to ensure the most holidays is Boston, Massachusetts. This probably isn't common knowledge, but it's absolutely true. If you are a state employee in Boston, Mass you get at least one holiday each month - (almost)! It's wonderful. Here's the lineup - you'll recognize some, others you may not be familiar with.
January - MLK day
February - Presidents Day
March - Evacuation Day (this is the day that the British troops left Boston during the Revolutionary war. It's also St. Patricks day, which of course is widely celebrated by all of those Irish Bostonians.)
April - Patriots Day (Not only is this the day of the famous Boston Marathon, it is also commemorates the first battles of the Revolutionary war - Lexington and Concord.)
May - Memorial Day
June - Bunker Hill Day (again another Revolutionary war battle day - don't you just love working in the "cradle of liberty?")
July - Independence Day
August - nothing! The only month without a holiday!
September - Labor Day
October - Columbus Day
November - Veterans Day & Thanksgiving
December - Christmas
Now I ask you, why can't every state observe these holidays?
1 comment:
Sigh...I think I agree with you. I only get off for Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving (and Black Friday), Christmas and New Year's Day. Christmas and New Year's fall on Tuesday's this year, so they "generously" gave us off work on Christmas and New Year's Eve. That is definitely the down side to working at an accounting firm. Tax season takes up the first four months of the year and so we do not observe a single holiday during that time period. The flip side? We get LOTS of PTO (Paid Time Off) to make up for it!
All the same, I definitely would live in Boston simply for a few more days off! :)
Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment