Friday, October 26, 2007

My Musical Little Sponge

Lately, I have been more and more impressed with how much Ellie understands and catches on to. The most blatant example has to do with singing songs. She asks me to sing songs all day long, it seems. And now she's actually starting to sing along with me. She's completely out of tune and she doesn't do it word for word, but it really is cool to see what she does know.

At church on Sunday, we were shocked when they were passing the sacrament and out of nowhere, Ellie just started singing "Jesus came to John the Baptist in Judea long ago...." from the primary hymn. Then yesterday while we were in the car she started singing "I'm trying to be like Jesus..." Not only is it extra, extra, dang cute. It's really special too, because it's the beginnings of her little testimony. Her favorite request is Jesus songs.

Non religious songs are favorites too - she does probably the cutest rendition of Happy Birthday I've ever heard. It's been such a reminder to me that music is amazing when it comes to learning. When you put something to music you remember it much longer than you normally would. This is definitely the case with Ellie, once we've sung something to her, she remembers it and requests to hear it again and she knows when we try to fake it.

1 comment:

Cindylou said...

This also gives me pleasure! I love music! How wonderful! I hope my child has a love for music as well.

Happy almost Halloween! Can't wait to see Ellie in costume!

xoxo,
C