Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Diaper - stay on

Ellie really likes to take off her clothes (diaper and all) while she's waiting for us to get her up in the morning and after her naps. It's generally not too much of a problem - because she is usually dry and doesn't wipe any diaper residue anywhere. But there has been a handful of times when she has either peed in the bed or even removed poo from her diaper and put it on the sheets. It's so frustrating. I really don't know what to do about it. Over and over we've stressed that Mama and Daddy take off her diapers and that she needs to keep her diapers on. "Diaper - stay on" "Clothes - stay on" - she says it over and over. And she seems to understand it, but still usually every other day we find her partially or fully naked after a nap or in the morning, (naps are the worse offenders).

I really don't know what to do about it. When I try to lecture her about it, I don't think she understands it. And I can't think of a punishment that I can inflict that she would associate with taking off her clothes. I don't want to just yell at her or give a pat on the bottom, because I don't think it will teach her that what she is doing is wrong.

So we are just dealing with it for now. Like I said, it usually isn't too much of a problem, because she is dry and doesn't make a mess. But still there are those few times where I have to clean up a mess. Maybe duct tape on the diaper is the way to go.

4 comments:

MBusse said...

How about sleeping/napping in a blanket sleeper (maybe a light weight one?), and you run a safety pin through the zipper so she can't take it off?

Ryann said...

Have you tried putting her in clothes that she can't get out of? Or maybe using a belt? It might now help, I know that some kids are quite the Houdini!

Sabrina said...

I would go for the duct tape - I know this is something you have been combating for a while - or maybe let her sit in it for 10 minutes that she knows it isn't comfortable - is that too much? I know she can pretty much get out of all her clothes so aside from duct tape, this is a tough one!

Rebecca said...

Another tip... During the winter when we used those footed sleepers, he liked to unzip his sleeper, take off his diaper, then pee, then freeze in his wet, unzipped pajamas. A safety pin at the top of the zipper worked wonders. In fact, my son even started requesting it after a while!