Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Putting Things into Perspective

Every once in a while something happens that helps put things into perspective. For me, it was reading about the fires in Southern California. At this point, I know two families who have been evacuated from their homes - my cousin and his family and our good friends from law school. Thankfully, our friends are already back into their house. No word on my cousin yet. Interestingly, I found out about each of their particular situations by reading their blogs. (See these things are helpful for a lot of things!).

Anyway, as I read their descriptions of their experiences - I reflected on what I would do in the same situation. What would I grab? What would I leave behind? Would I be able to get everything we needed in 2 minutes or less? Who knows? But it really makes you remember that most of the things you have are replaceable. It's those irreplaceable things - photos, journals, and of course your loved ones - that you'd never want to lose.

So here's what I would grab:

Ellie
our computer
safe
my wedding ring (hey! I'm 9 months pregnant, of course it doesn't fit)
our 72 hour kits
wedding pictures*

And well, anything else would just be extra.


*Notice I didn't say scrapbooks - hah! I knew there was a reason I don't scrapbook - I'll never have to worry about grabbing them in an emergency. Sorry to all of you scrapbookers out there.

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

So mean! It's OK if I don't get to grab the scrapbooks as long as I can grab the computer - all my pics are on there...it would be a shame to lose all the work, but hey, that wouldn't be the only work I would have to leave behind!