Thursday, February 07, 2008

The Speech I Didn't Write

I stepped out of my mom role today briefly and back into my old political staffer shoes as I attended a conference to support my former boss, Governor Mitt Romney, at the Conservative Political Action Conference. I was one of two speechwriters for the Governor while we lived in Massachusetts. And though I'm a former wordsmith, I find it hard to express my great respect and admiration for Governor Romney. He truly is one of the best people I've had the privilege to know - certainly one of the brightest, most capable, and most genuine. I am honored to have worked for him - to have been able to meet with him regularly and see firsthand his leadership and talent. I never thought I would meet, let alone know personally, a man that would be President of the United States. Maybe I haven't, but I know I proudly worked for a man who should be President. I'm just sorry I had to be there to see his presidential bid end. I certainly didn't think I would be attending such a speech even if there was going to be one seeing as how I spend most of my days communicating in Momspeak rather than Politicalspeak.

I got to talk to the Governor briefly after the speech,* where he announced that he was dropping out of the race. Kind and generous to the end, he said he wished I was still writing speeches for him. I replied that I wished I had written the speech he had just given. What I didn't say (mostly because I never come of with the right things to say at any time, I'm always so slow on these things) is that if I had written the speech I would have ended it differently. I wouldn't have wanted him to end the fight just yet.

I was surprised at how much I was affected by his decision. I had just lost what I still believe is the best option for the presidential race. In a way, I guess it's silly to cry over such things, but I was a little teary-eyed - mostly because I think it is a huge loss to the GOP and to our country, but also because it's a loss to my old boss and my many friends who still work for him. When politics are personal, which they are for me when I know and love the actual people involved, it's sad to see someone lose.

So I end with how I began. I am immensely proud of Governor Romney. I wish he were still in the race. And even though he is not, come Tuesday when I finally get the opportunity to vote in the primary, I will be voting for him.

*Being a former staffer still helps you get through blocked doors, thank goodness.

No comments: