So yesterday was my birthday. And while it wasn't a bad day, it wasn't anything too spectacular. The main reason for that was that Matt had to work really late, so other than a quick hello in the morning, I didn't get to see him. And since he's the main person I would want to spend my 30th birthday with, it wasn't too exciting of a day. But work is work, and he's got to do it. As my old coworker in Boston used to say "It is what it is."
So I spent the day with my girls. We went out for lunch and dinner to make the day a little bit different. Not much of a splurge though - Baja Fresh for lunch and Subway for dinner. But it was nice to not have to make anything at home. And we took a trip to my favorite retail store - Bed, Bath and Beyond. Ellie loves going there too because we always spend at least ten minutes in the Yankee candle aisle smelling candles. She can't get enough of them. Her favorite yesterday was Vanilla Cupcake, which is a common favorite for her.
And I also got calls and emails from many people I love - friends, in-laws, brothers, sisters and parents. So if I had to spend the day without Matt, at least I got to catch up with many of the people I love.
But I'm a strong believer in time shifting* so as soon as things cool down at work, Matt and I are going to go out to eat sans the girls - which is the only thing I asked for my birthday. We're not exactly sure when that is going to be, but it's a nice thing to look forward to. And we're planning a fun party next week too. Proving that birthdays should last more than one day, at least that's what I think.
*We did the same thing for Valentine's Day last week, as Matt had to work late that night too.
4 comments:
We typically have birthdays that last a week. I mean it is never convenient to do activities on the birthday itself if it falls during the week. We always have the friend party (more for the kids), a private family party, and with the adults-a dinner out without kiddos. I think we are supposed to really celebrate and prolonging our birthdays is how we do it. I hope that you get out soon for dinner and if you need a baby-sitter, give me a call!
That stinks he has to work so much. Hope you had a great birthday. Hopefully you will get to celebrate with a night out soon.
Shelly, Happy Belated Birthday!
I don't get to talk or see you guys very often so I don't know anyone's birthday, but I hope you had a great one!
Renatha.
Happy Birthday SHELLI!!! I think birthdays should ESPECIALLY last more than one day for those of us with lawyers for husbands...inevitably some big deal comes up on birthdays, anniversaries, valentine's day, etc. In fact, Rob and I have permanently moved Valentine's Day to June. Hope your birthday week was fabulous :)
Post a Comment