Wednesday, July 09, 2008

New York, New York

Well we made it back from New York and I can't believe it has taken me this long to give a report on our trip.

I will save my "reasons why I would never live in New York" for another time and focus on the fun things that happened when we visited Matt's brother, Randy, and his lovely wife, Carol, and their 4-yr-old daughter, Loretta, for the 4th of July.

The best part by far was visiting with our company. Ellie and Loretta were perfect playmates. Loretta was so good at sharing with Ellie and teaching her how to play with toys that were new to her. Watching them interact made me excited for the time when Annie is old enough to play with Ellie as the age difference with Ellie and Loretta is the same as with Ellie and Annie. I hope they play just as well together someday.

The rain kind of ruined both our fireworks viewing and our plans on Saturday to go to the Bronx Zoo. It also caused a packed house at the American Museum of Natural History (our alternative to the zoo). We waited in an hour long line and it was a mad house when we actually go into it. But they did have a great children's room, that has a timed entry to control crowd size - and that was really wonderful. The girls had a great time. I swear, though, if we had just stayed in the apartment they would have had a great time - they got along so well. But since Randy and Carol only have A/C in their bedrooms* and not in the whole apartment, I had no desire to stay inside.
Enjoy the pics.

Here's Ellie and Loretta in Loretta's super cool tent. Even Annie thought it was cool.



Ellie taking a ride through the apartment on Loretta's scooter.
enjoying 4th of July popsicles.
The girls on the bus. They loved sitting on the part where it acts like an accordion and the two parts of the bus smash together.
Despite her cute smile, Annie was pretty cranky after waiting in such a long time at the museum. Who can blame her?
Here's Ann again, sitting in a giant oyster shell. She actually really liked it.
Both girls on the oyster shell.
And the crazy hats in the children's room.
So all in all, it was a fun trip. We're glad we made it. And even more grateful that we really didn't have any major traffic problems driving there and back. And unlike our last trip to NYC, we made it without my car breaking down. And that is a victory too. Here's to many more visits to visit the NYC crew.

*Ok, there's one major reason I would never live in NYC - central air is not a given when it comes to apartments. What is THAT about?

1 comment:

Natalie C. said...

Annie's hat in that picture looks like a traditional folk costume for Laplanders (from Finland where I served my mission). What's it doing in the natural history museum? :)