Ellie had a rough day Sunday at church. I had to go to her in nursery 3 times! Keep in mind that she has been going to nursery for a year and a half and I have NEVER been called in for her. She has never been sad, never been causing trouble, never nothing. She LOVES nursery and always has a great time. From the very first day, she has made a mad dash from sacrament meeting each Sunday with anticipation.
So when I heard her wailing from the hallway while I was sitting in Sunday School, I was really surprised. The first time, she had gotten hurt. Another boy had accidentally whacked her in the head with a bucket. Well, once Ellie gets hurt pretty bad, she has a hard time keeping it together even after she's been comforted. I cheered her up and sent her back, hoping for the best.
Unfortunately every time that little boy came near her she was terrified. She kept saying "I'm afraid of _________." The second time she had been pushed. I had to actually go back into nursery and stay with her through singing time and the lesson. She finally let me leave when they brought out the snacks.
The third time, she was playing with one of the little girls and they tripped and fell and it was just too much. I didn't even need someone to get me, I could hear her wails from my seat in Relief Society. So sad. I didn't think I could convince her to stay in nursery so I brought her back with me for the final 10 minutes of church.
What a day! I hope we don't have to go through this again. Granted she was really tired because Annie woke her up super early (and everyone else in the family) and church is right during nap time (lousy 1pm meeting time), but this was ridiculous.
I will say that despite all of this, the sweetest moment occurred while I was sitting in nursery with her. The kids were singing "If You're Happy and You Know it" And the teacher asked Ellie what makes her happy - hoping that she was would say something like clap your hands or turn around, you know, to sing it with the song. Ellie looked straight at me in a very serious voice and said "you, Mama." It took all I had not to break into tears, knowing that at that very moment I was her source of happiness and comfort. What a sweetheart.
Well, better luck next week, and hopefully she won't get in the way of one of the many rambunctious boys in her class.
3 comments:
Oh poor sweet Ellie. It just breaks my heart to think of her terrorized in nursery. Eli was terrorized the first couple of months because he was one of the only new young ones & the ones that were already 3 were just trampling over him. But he really developed thick skin from the whole thing. Hopefully, all this will give her a pseudo big brother experience & teach her some good defense tactics. :)
I hope "_______" wasn't Ryan. My advice would be to not make such a big deal about it when she gets hurt. Kids react to your reaction, so if you make a huge deal out of something small, they will too. Sorry you had such a rough day though, our sacrament meeting was one of those "why did we come to church?" days...
Don't you love how the nursery experience can ruin a peaceful day?! Sometime I'll have to share with you the experience I had with one of our nursery classes this past Sunday (we have 4 nurseries, fortunately Aydon does really well so I don't have to worry about him so much).
Post a Comment