Monday, April 27, 2009

Ellie Can Read

Ellie can read. She really can and it is blowing my mind. We started those word cards a few weeks ago and now she's got 44 cards of words she knows and there are others we don't even have cards for. She's reading all the time. I am so crazy shocked, I don't know what to do with myself. I'm so freaking proud of her. What a smartie.

Part of me is really worried that she is going to be BORED OUT OF HER STINKING MIND when she goes to first grade 3.5 years from now. (I'm mean, come on, if she can read this well now, imagine what a fantastic reader she'll be in more than three years.) But I certainly don't want to stop a good thing going. Reading is quite possibly the most important skill she will ever develop so we're totally supporting her. It just seems so crazy to me. Who knew that 3-year-old could learn this stuff so quickly? I guess I just figured that was something you learned when you were much older. Wow.

So my filming is a little retarded, but here's a video clip of Ellie reading a Dick and Jane story.




Oh and if that weren't enough, she's woken up four mornings in a row with a dry pull-up. This really surprised me because she's always had a wet diaper in the morning, even when we told her she could go to the bathroom when she woke up in the morning. I recently decided to buy a pack of pull ups instead of the size 6 diapers I was using on her and apparently that did the trick. Not a single pull up I bought has been wet. Good thing I spent the money on the pull ups right? They'll probably all go to waste, well actually we'll just save them for Ann.

Wow! My baby is reading and completely potty-trained. Look out world!

4 comments:

The Tones of the Zarcone's said...

Oh my goodness...her little voice reading is just stinking adorable Shelly! Congrats to you and Ellie! That is wonderful!

Matt Astle said...

And you laughed at me for buying her that big fat Dick and Jane book for Christmas when she was a month and a half old. Just having it in her room has made her a better reader, and now look! I have my comeuppance.

Becca said...

So fun! 3 year old readers are really the cutest because their little voices and intonation is so great!! Way to go Ellie!

MBusse said...

Great job, Ellie!!!

Shelly, you might ask the school she'll be attending what they do for advanced readers. I'm sure they either have short sessions with reading specialists a couple times a week or participate in different groups based on levels initially. When I was in kindergarden, they sent me to a 2nd grade class each day for reading time.