Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Spokesman Taken to the Extreme

In my former life, I worked in politics. As a Hill staffer, you get very used to being a spokesperson for your boss. I was no exception. With all of the confidence in the world, I could say “The Senator disagrees with you on that point.” “The Senator believes ____.” The Senator thinks that the solution is ______.” The Senator is looking forward to _____.” It was strange at first, but after a little while it just rolls off the tongue and you never give it a second thought.

Now, I have a new (and cuter, I might add) boss. And it seems that I speak for her too. Only this time, I think I’ve gone a little overboard. My sweet 13 month-old daughter, Ellie, has yet to begin any substantive talking, which has led me to fill in the silence for her on her behalf.

Mostly it’s when we’re alone. I’ll have an entire conversation. Me: “So, Ellie, what do you want to do today?” Me (in a much higher and sillier voice): “Well, Mom, today I want to go to the park, eat lunch and take a nap.” Me: “That sounds like a good idea to me.” Me (high voice again) “Thanks, Mom, I thought so.” Etc. This goes on throughout the day.

I don’t think about it much until I start doing it front of people or worse actually attributing thoughts to Ellie like I did last Sunday. I was inviting a friend to go to a Christmas music performance at the LDS temple in Bethesda, MD. “Ellie and I were thinking about going to the temple Tuesday night, would you like to go with us?” As soon as I said it, I realized how ludicrous I sounded. As if Ellie had been thinking anything like that. I don’t know what is going on in her little head, but my bet is that she is more concerned about her favorite bunny and whether she’s hungry, rather than planning trips to music performances. At least when I spoke for a Senator I actually knew what he was thinking. I have no idea what Ellie is thinking.

Oh well. I still speak for her anyway. I will probably do it as long as I can get away with it. Cursed be the day when she decides to start talking for herself. I’m sure all of the amazing compliments she gives me will come to an abrupt halt (I’ve got to get props somehow, so every once in a while I have Ellie say “Wow, Mom, you’re great. I think you’re the best ever!” etc, this sounds even more ridiculous than ever…)

Anyway, we went to the concert and it was wonderful. The lights were gorgeous and it really got us in the Christmas spirit. Thanks for joining us, Katie. Ellie and I had a great time!

No comments: