Tuesday, December 05, 2006

It's Not a Tuba...It's a Sousaphone

I have never been tempted to learn a wind instrument until tonight. The Kennedy Center hosts free performances every weeknight at 6pm and tonight was the Very Tuba Christmas - a more than 200 piece concert made of tubas, euphonium, and sousaphones. I packed Ellie into the car and met Matt at the show. It was fabulous. My favorite song was "Santa wants a tuba for Christmas."

Turns out, every year there are more than 200 tuba Christmas concerts worldwide. The one held in the Kennedy is simply a bunch of local folks from the area who play the tuba - all volunteers, all various ranges of expertise. They have never played together before with the exception of the 3pm rehearsal just before the performance. They just show up, run through some songs and perform. It looked like so much fun, I actually considered learning how to play so I could be a part of it next year. It was THAT fantastic. I think we've found a new family tradition.

No comments: