Friday, May 25, 2007

Vacation - Thank Goodness!

We just finished a mini vacation. Matt's work schedule has been crazy busy, but we were able to finagle a three day hiatus from work and we spent most of it at home. It was wonderful. We didn't do much of anything. The only exciting thing we did was go camping for one night. It was Ellie's first camping trip and it went off without a hitch. We headed to Shenendoah State Park, only an hour and a half from our house. Who knew we were so close to such a wonderful camping site? (Our friend, Andrea, did because she suggested the spot, thank goodness!)

The campground was excellent. The bathrooms were without a doubt the cleanest I've ever seen at a campground, sadly more clean than my shower right now. Everything was clean. The weather was perfect mid-80s with a breeze and no humidity. And it wasn't even too cold at night. We wondered how Ellie would take to falling asleep in a tent, but she did really well. It also helped that her pack n play fit in our tent.* Not that sleeping was perfect. Poor Matt only had a flimsy mattress that didn't do a good job of blocking out the gravel below the tent and my air mattress was hard and overfilled. But we went on little hikes, saw plenty of wildlife**, and of course, there were s'mores. I think I go camping just to eat s'mores. I love them so much.

The best was just being with my two favorite people and being away from everything else. It was so nice to have nothing to do. I'm glad we ended up doing it. The rest of the vacation was perfect for those very same reasons. We had no agenda and just enjoyed each other's company. Considering how busy life has been for us, this was a very welcome respite. Yea for vacation!

* Our five man tent is awesome. We won it a law school party when we first got married, it was one of the best party spoils we've ever made off with.

** Lots of bunnies, squirrells, birds, a lizard, a deer (I saw it on my early morning hike) and even a bunch of cows that were grazing in a nearby farm across the river.

No comments: