Friday, May 11, 2007

Wise Beyond Her Years

Ellie had her 18 month well checkup yesterday, and it went fabulously. The doctor said she was older than she is - meaning that she is advanced in everything from verbal development to weight and height. "She's just an older baby than she actually is," he said. I took the time with Matt yesterday morning to write down all of the words she knows. We came up with about 40. The doctor's mouth dropped when I told him that. He was also impressed with her clarity when I had her say some of the words. What can I say? We got a talker. It's not too surprising if you know me and my family - we're not exactly ones who are often at a loss for words.

Ellie weighs 28.5 lbs now - 93rd percentile. I can't believe my baby is almost 30 lbs. I think it's official - she's no longer a baby. She's a full blown toddler. She's even trying to learn how to climb up the stairs on her feet instead of crawling which only makes me nervous. She's just a real person.

This is actually been my favorite stage so far. She's finally more independent. She can do things on her own, and I feel like we can actually communicate too. I am more and more convinced that I was made to be a mom of small children more than to babies. As much as I think babies are cute - they are a LOT of work, and not really that much fun. But Ellie is fun now. We play and laugh together, she entertains herself too, and she's really become my friend. Who knew toddlerhood could be so great?

No comments: