Today was the primary sacrament meeting. For those who don't know what the means, this is the biggest Sunday of the year for the children because the entire worship service is composed of them singing tons of songs and giving little talks. As the music conductor of all of these kids, it's a very stressful day for me too. It was also compounded by the fact that I was also responsible to play the organ for two of the hymns in the meeting. As you'll remember from earlier posts, I am not the best organist and I was frankly very concerned about how I was going to sound.
As a primary, we have been learning and practicing the eight songs we planned to sing since January. And we've been practicing the actual program for four weeks straight. More than once in the past weeks, I lost my cool - stressing about the lack of reverence that the children were displaying and the massive effort it takes to get them to pay attention.
Last week, Matt came home from visiting the primary president. He said that she told me to "not worry, that everything would be OK" because she noticed that I was getting frustrated. I don't know what frustrated me more, being frustrated or knowing that my frustration was obviously apparent. Oh well.
But today finally arrived and the program went really well. The kids sang their songs well. They read all of their lines and they just really brought a great spirit into the meeting. I couldn't be happier with the performance. And I didn't even do too bad on the organ either. My organ professor at BYU would probably have shielded her ears, but she's not here so who cares?
But now that it's over, that's one less thing I have to worry about. And that makes me very happy. Next major hurdle: Matt's work deadline in a couple of weeks! Can't wait for that to be over too!
No comments:
Post a Comment