Friday, March 07, 2008

It Is What It Is

This is not a complaining post, or at least it's not meant to be. But I've decided that "It is what it is" is my new mantra. It pretty much sums up the way I feel about the less than desirable things going on in my life. Things aren't really that bad, but certainly they could be better, but since they are not - it is what it is.

Take Matt's work schedule this past week. He has worked late every night this week (meaning midnight or later), including tonight. I am grateful that at least two of those nights (Monday and Wednesday) he came home early enough to help put Ellie to bed and eat dinner and then did the rest of his work from home. Still, work is work and he has done a lot of it this week leaving me with the girls for the majority of their waking hours. And leaving him extra exhausted and missing the girls. But what more is there to say than "It is what it is." There's nothing we can do to change it (barring him changing jobs which is not something we want), so we just deal.

It's not like its so bad. But it is amazing to me the difference his presence makes even if it is for just a short hour before bedtime. I know my friends who have lawyer husbands, or husbands that often travel for work, or those who have been deployed (certainly a much more difficult thing to go through) can all relate. It's not easy to do it all by yourself. But you just got to get over it and move on. "You gotta buck up, Ann" as I said to Annie the other day when she was fussy in the car. It was really hilarious to hear Ellie echo me "You gotta buck up, Ann."

And that's what I'm doing. There are good weeks and bad weeks. As far as work goes, this has been a bad one. But we've seen much worse. And besides, it is what it is.

4 comments:

Becca said...

Something I needed to hear - thank you! This week was Chris's week in Europe and it has been a very L O N G week! Emma even mentioned that to me tonight. I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling like that! I even had thoughts that when Chris gets home tomorrow we need to start thinking about what we want out of our life because doing this forever is not looking fun to me! Again . . not complaining but this was a perfect reminder for me. Thanks again!

Natalie C. said...

I have been dealing with Chris getting home at 9pm & later, for the past few months. I'm not happy about it, either. I'm trying to find that fine line between being supportive & not complaining & insisting that he not go in on Saturday, but instead give me a little break for some of the weekend hours.

Chris isn't a lawyer or military, but I'm using those wives as my inspiration, too. It sure would be nice to have family around, though!! (Trying not to complain...!!)

MBusse said...

This reminds me a little of Sister Hinckley with the kids, as President Hinckley was often away, working late, or helping in his bishop or stake president duties in the evening. I'll have to find the talk his kids gave a few years ago...

My point being,.. you're in good company.

Melissa said...

I thought I commented on this but I don't see my comment. If it shows up twice, I guess I will just laugh. It is really hard to be alone so much. I know how I feel after Jeff is gone even a couple of nights in a row. Things get so busy with work and church callings, etc. I don't know how people keep things balanced. It sounds like you are doing a good job in a hard situation and keeping a good attitude. Hopefully things will get better soon.