Ellie and I have found a new thing we love. It's the They Might Be Giants Friday Night Podcast. Growing up I liked TMBG about as much as the normal person. I liked their more popular hits - Istanbul, Not Constantinople, and Birdhouse in Your Soul - but I really wasn't too familiar with their other stuff. Matt, however, was a big, big fan.
I remember shortly after we were married when he purchased their new kid CD NO! and wondered what the big deal was. He also owned all of their other Cds. But you know, I started to like some of the songs on NO! after listening to it. And now that Ellie is getting more interested in silly songs we have discovered the Friday Night Podcast. TMBG puts out a podcast every week with a new silly song about letters and numbers and other things for kids. They are hilarious - for kids and parents. I just love them and Ellie does too. The songs are quirky, of course (you wouldn't expect anything less from TMBG), but they are also incredibly catchy and stay in your head for a long time (in a good way). We love to listen to them in the car and watch them on the computer. Ellie often asks for them by name - "I listen to John and John?" And has even learned the letter J as in J for John and John. It's pretty funny. I definitely plan to buy their newest cd Here Come the ABCs. I think it's great that such a cool music group has focused on the kid market - certainly it's worth their while since the majority of their fan base is having kids. But I feel like the market is in need of a funky and fun alternative to less exciting products like the Wiggles.*
*To all of you Wiggles lovers out there - I'm not trying to criticize them, Ellie likes the Wiggles video she has and they're good enough. But they're are nothing compared to the clever witticisms I've discovered in the TMBG's podcasts.
1 comment:
Oh how fun. I have to admit I've secretly sang along to songs from Here Come the ABCs that have been on Playhouse Disney. (Elemeno is not a letter, etc.) :) Another song I heard on TV that I enjoyed so much I downloaded it was "Roll Jenny Jenkins Roll" by Lisa Loeb. Very cute & fun for kids (even if it is a Grateful Dead cover.) I think you can see the video on her website, too. My kids love it.
Post a Comment