Wednesday, March 26, 2008

More Easter

Because we always believe in celebrating occasions over a period of days, our Easter celebration also lasted into the week. We were incredibly fortunate to go to the White House Easter Egg Roll. Despite the fact, that I have lived in DC for almost 6 springs, I have never been to this big soiree. But I finally decided that Ellie was old enough to actually enjoy it and thanks to the wonderful generosity of a friend, we got tix to go. And luckily Matt was able to join us for most of the time.

We had a wonderful time. The weather was clear, though I wish it was little warmer. Mostly, I was just so impressed with how nice all of the volunteers were. Everyone was super happy and kind to us; it was like Disneyland at the White House. Ellie loved seeing Mickey Mouse and Elmo. She really didn't do so hot at the egg hunt (there were too many older kids who were much faster). She also really liked dying more eggs and getting all of the candy. Of course, we did the traditional egg roll. I don't think she really understood the concept because she kept pushing the egg the wrong way. Finally she just picked up the egg in her spoon and walked it the rest of the way. It was pretty cute.

For me, being on the White House lawn is always exciting. I got about 10 feet away from former President Bush (41) and that was nice. Matt got some good pics of him too. And it reinforced my complete love for this city. So many exciting and unique things to do. We are just so fortunate. I'll never forget as a little child being thrilled the one time I saw the White House. Ellie sees it all the time.

I can't believe all of the activities available - egg coloring, book reading, egg hunt, obstacle course, egg roll, etc. The borderline libertarian in me bemoaned the use of tax dollars for a slight moment, but it is almost exclusively run by volunteers and I'm quite certain that many things were donated, so I got over that pretty quick.

If anything, I wish Ellie and Annie were just a little bit older because I think they would have liked it even more and I wouldn't have had to worry about naptime with Annie. It makes me excited for the time when they are like 6 & 4 (you know still sweet, but bigger).

All in all, it was a wonderful way to wrap up our four day Easter celebration. From cupcakes on Friday, egg hunt on Saturday, to church and Easter dinner on Sunday, and Egg Roll on Monday, we were quite Eastered out. Ellie was so tired when we got home Monday afternoon she took a very long nap, so long that I had to wake her up because I wanted to make sure she would go to sleep at bedtime! (I don't think that has ever happened.) Here are some pics from the day and a great video of Ellie rolling (sort of) her egg.












2 comments:

Becca said...

So much fun! I've heard such great things about that Egg Roll. What a treat to live so close!

The Tones of the Zarcone's said...

Thanks for letting us know how fun it was! Kevin and I were talking about the event and wondering if it was really worth the time to consider when our daughter is old enough to participate.

Loved the video. Made me giggle. Ellie is so cute!

xoxo,
C