Thursday, March 27, 2008

A Morning with the Blossoms

Ah, it's cherry blossom time here in DC, and I couldn't be more excited. I absolutely love this time of year. Years ago, my roommates and I would get up really early in the morning so we could take a walk around the Tidal Basin and enjoy the stunning views before most of the crowds of tourists and to get back home in time to head off to work. It's been a while since I've gone, but I am luck because my old roomie, Melissa, is in town this week for spring vacation and somehow I convinced her to get up at the break of dawn (on her vacation!) and take a walk down memory lane. It was wonderful!! The full peak of the blossoms isn't quite there yet (they need another few days, I think) but still there were some trees that were in full bloom. The weather was perfect - crisp, cool, a little overcast at the beginning (good for pictures). And there wasn't a lot of people around - other than runners and serious photographers. We convinced the one touristy family we saw to take our picture. For some reason, that I can no longer explain, I got the sudden urge to do a cartwheel when we finally reached the front of the Jefferson Memorial. It's been years since I've done one. Maybe 10 years from now, when I'm 40 I'll come back and do a cartwheel again. Melissa got a picture of it - it's posted below. It was just fabulous to enjoy the beautiful view and the terrific company. Here are a few pictures I took.





3 comments:

Natalie C. said...

As a single woman, I used to jog around the tidal basin all the time, too!!! Very fun. :)

Melissa said...

I love the cartwheel. I've never been able to do one myself. I love the cherry blossoms. Jeff is here with me and we were remembering that you always have talked of them in the past and that is your favorite thing.

T. Bateman said...

Hi Shelly! I came across your blog while looking at other ward members blogs. I love the first picture you took - I never knew you had such an eye for great photography. Great picture!!