Since I've had my new iPod, one of my favorite things to do is sit with Ellie and listen to it. It doesn't happen very often, usually about once or twice a week. But she'll get really cuddly and ask to listen to "Daddy's song" on the iPod. Daddy's song is Lullaby (Goodnight, My Angel) by Billy Joel. So we sit in the rocker recliner in her room, cuddle under lots of blankets, and we listen to Goodnight, My Angel (each of us with one earphone bud) while I hold my precious little girl and rock back and forth. It is truly a tender, tender moment and I LOVE it every time. She usually then asks to listen Mama's song or Annie's song (she calls them both names) which is Annie's Song by John Denver. And we listen to that as well.
Every time I sit and rock with Ellie listening to these songs I think of how fleeting this beautiful moment is and how I don't want it to ever go away. If only it could last forever - this little angel in my arms that loves me more than anything and thinks I can do no wrong. What will she do when she finds out the truth - I am human. Maybe if I just hold on tighter, I can stop time if only for a moment. How will I ever handle her growing up and leaving my protective shelter? I just don't know. I find the answer in the lyrics of Joel's song: "Someday we'll all be gone, but lullabies go on and on, They never die that's how you and I will be."
I don't know why there aren't as many beautiful, tender songs made today like these two wonderful songs. I wish there were. I simply cannot get enough of them. I could listen to them over and over, especially with Ellie cuddled in my arms. The words are poignant; the melodies so lasting; each song so timeless - years after they were first written, they remain among my all time favorites. They are true art.
2 comments:
Shelly,
This was a beautifully written post. I think, if I may implore you, you should write down this blog or do something so that one day, Ellie can read it and know how much these moment meant to each of you. We all need to be reminded from time to time how much we are loved and cherished!
You make me excited to become a parent. I know there are hard moments ahead, but those are outweight by so many special moments.
Thanks for sharing with us such a lovely post. You made my evening!
xoxo,
C
I feel sad thinking of my babies growing too and it goes so fast. I can already see it happening. One time Nicky held me tight and she said I was her best friend in the whole world. It is so sweet that they love us and need us so much. I know she won't be saying that stuff like ten years from now so it is so precious.
Post a Comment