Monday, March 31, 2008

Let's Go Fly A Kite

This Saturday we headed out to the National Mall to participate in the Kite Festival.* It was the perfect day for flying a kite, albeit a little chillier than I would have liked it. Still the wind were strong but not too strong and sky was clear and sunny. We had a wonderful time. At first, we thought we were just going to go and watch the kite flying. But as an afterthought I ran over to our local Walmart and found a $1 kite with Thomas the Train on it. For those of you who know our Ellie, you know that this was the highlight of the day. She was THRILLED to have a Thomas kite. (She's thrilled to have a Thomas anything.) And I'm so glad I bought it, because I don't think it really would've have been that much fun without a kite.

And for a $1 kite, it flew really well. In fact, I was surprised at how high it got. It made me actually look like I know what I'm doing when it comes to flying kites. Ha!

We had a great time. Yes, we managed to get the kite stuck in a tree twice, (once because Ellie was the only one holding the string and she let go and the other because somebody (not Ellie or me) took their eyes off the kite) but we successfully retrieved it every time. Not only that but we had the definite kid favorite of the kites in our area. Every one loved the Thomas kite. I'm so glad we went. It definitely broke up what would have been just another weekend.


Here's a few pictures.


Ellie and Matt flying the kite
My turn with the kite
Matt's turn
Thomas soaring really high in the air.

*Thanks to Ryann for giving me the heads up about the event. Fortuitously, Matt also saw announcements about it on the metro, so when I called him at work to suggest it he was about to do the same thing.

1 comment:

Ryann said...

Your kite got so high! Ours never made it over 20 feet!