Today I hit the ground running, and I feel like I still don't have time to slow down. It all started when Annie woke up for her second feeding of the night at 5:40am. Fortunately she went back to sleep, but despite my desperate efforts to fall back asleep, I failed miserably. Instead, I just laid on my bed in a vain hope that sleep would find me whilst I calculated how long it will take us to pay off Matt's student loans (this is what I do when I have nothing else to do - I know, how pathetic).
Anyway, by the time Annie woke up for the morning at 8am, I knew it was time to give up my efforts to sleep and I headed for the gym. I worked out on the elliptical machine for double what I normal do - an entire hour. This was my hopeless attempt to make up for the fact that I ate way too much chocolate at my birthday party we had last night. Guests were invited to bring a chocolate dessert and I fear that despite the fact that I only had tiny pieces of each dessert, I completely blew whatever semblance of a diet I'm on.
After the gym, I got into what Matt calls "a mood." This is what he calls it when I go tearing through the house trying to make up for the fact that I never clean it. This happens usually every few weeks or so. I get disgusted with the fact that my house is filthy, and I try to clean everything at once. I usually run out of steam by the end of the day. Today my focus was on the bathroom in our bedroom, our bedroom, Ellie's room, the kitchen, the living room and if I can manage to keep going after I finish this post, the basement too. So essentially the entire house. Thankfully, Matt did most of the kitchen, as he recognized "the mood" and realized pretty quickly that for the sake of our marriage he ought to pitch in. Oh and I have done five loads of laundry.
Somewhere in between all of this stuff, we attended a very fun party for one of Ellie's friends, Ryan. Congrats to his mom, Jill, who put on one of the best toddler parties I've been to - complete with wall coloring, sing-a-longs, cookie decorating, and games. We had a great time. Oh and Ellie did too.
It is now 10pm and I still have more to do and even a little more energy than I should considering the circumstances. So I am off to tackle the mess that is the basement. Next time I can't sleep and I find myself calculating how long it will take us to pay off Matt's student loans, I think I will also try to figure out how long it will take before I can pay someone else to clean my house.
4 comments:
First of all, it was your bday party, so you are entitled to eat a little chocolate right? :) Don't beat yourself up too much for that!
I am constantly cleaning my house. I don't say this to rub it in, I say this b/c I drive myself crazy over it. I have become a neat freak, and I don't know when it started. It is especially worse with the arrival of my first child. I know I am down to weeks and so I have a need to get everything done so that I can "relax" when she arrives. Ha! As if that will be possible. It may be paired with "nesting" but that is just who I am...nothing more, nothing less.
I love the pics of Ryan's bday party. Ellie is getting big!
Hope you are well. Don't be too hard on yourself, but hey, if it means that you feel better that the house is nice and cleaned, then more power to you. :)
xoxo,
C
I love the term, "mood." That made me laugh. I have those all the time but I don't clean. Jeff just knows it is time to take the kids out so I can have a nap.
Next time you are lying awake in the near-dawn hours, instead of calculating anything, go down and clean the basement while everyone is sleeping. You'll feel better when they wake up and maybe even ward off "the mood"!
Marni,
You make an excellent suggestion, but that would require me to get my lazy bum out of bed!
Post a Comment