For Mother's Day, Ellie and Annie (with the help of Matt) presented me with a blank check with specific instructions to treat myself to a real haircut. For those who know me, I have had virtually the same hairstyle for decades.* Not only that, but I rarely spend much money on my hair. I get the same cut (just a trim!) either at the bargain hair cutting salon or from a friend. It doesn't change at all; except I usually cut it a little shorter in the summer because of the heat. And I'm really happy with my hair. I like it. And I don't really have time or the inclination to spend lots of money to do more with it.
But Matt thinks it would be fun for me to actually get a hairstyle, not just a haircut. And to get it from someone who really makes it their profession. So I consulted some of my girlfriends and have made an appointment with a salon that is reportedly very good and meets Matt's specific instructions of spending more than $50.
I'm so unsure of what to get, that my instructions to the poor stylist is going to be - I want a hairstyle and cut that is incredibly low maintenance (takes 3 minutes of less to do) and is no shorter than my shoulders. Good luck!
The appointment is this afternoon and I have to tell you, I am really nervous. I really don't want to regret this decision. The reason my haircut has been the same is because I like it. It works for me. I am pretty reticent to change in general and my hair is no exception to this rule. I'm terrified that the stylist is going to go crazy and my hair will be ruined. I've always loved my hair and during the days when my self esteem wasn't the greatest, my hair was often the one thing I liked about my appearance.** I am really, really in love with my hair and I would be very sad if I began to dislike it.
So it is with great trepidation that I go to this appointment. Who knows, maybe this will be the best thing ever. Maybe the stylist will help me discover an amazing new look. I'm just fearing the worse. If I'm brave enough, I will post results. We'll have to see.
*In college the only difference was that I had bangs.
**I always related to Jo in Little Women when she cuts her hair really short and sells it and the only thing punk little sister Amy has to say is "Jo! Your one beauty!!"
4 comments:
I had the same hairstyle for at least 7 years. I changed it last year and am growing it long with layers. The key is to get a good hairstylist. It is fun to realize you can look cute with a different look. Make sure to post a picture.
BUT, the beauty of hair is that it grows...so even if it's a "bad" haircut, you only have to wait a few weeks until it's manageable. Unless, of course, you shave it off, and then you have to wait few months. ;)
Okay, well, now you HAVE to show pics!!
Hope it went well and you like it! It might take a few days to adjust to....change does!
xoxo,
C
Ok.. ok... we're dying for the update! How do you like it? Feel brave enough to post a picture?
Post a Comment