Tuesday, May 20, 2008

TV Marathon

We interrupt this ever engaging travel log to expose my ridiculous interest in ballroom dancing and the guilty pleasure I find in Ugly Betty.

I only watch two TV shows and I really haven't been all that devoted to one of them since the writer's strike. While I was on our trip I didn't watch any TV at all (which isn't really that much of a change from usual since I only watch two in the first place). But tonight, thanks to Matt working late and the beauty of watching full episodes online, I was able to simultaneously watch the finale of Dancing with the Stars (Go Kristi!!) and watch the four Ugly Betty episodes I've missed since the strike.

My thoughts on Dancing with the Stars - I love Kristi Yamaguchi. She is so entertaining. I loved watching her when I was younger in the Olympics, and I loved watching her in the only reality TV show I've ever enjoyed. She is so amazingly talented. She totally deserved to win and I'm glad to see a woman actually beat out the men. I've only started watching the show for the past three seasons, but I'm 3 for 3 in picking the eventual winners within the first couple of weeks (not that it was that hard this time around). I'm glad that Jason Taylor got second place; he was my second favorite. He just seemed like such a gentleman, and it was cool to see someone so strong and tough be so graceful and charming.

My thoughts on Ugly Betty - I can't believe I like this show as much as I do. It really is just so over the top and I really don't know if I can even talk about it with a straight face. But I do have to say I was amazed to see how my opinion of one of the characters has completely transformed. When they brought in Gio, I didn't like him, I knew what they were doing - trying to bring in a new interest for Betty and well, I'm crazy for Henry, etc. I was opposed. But now that Henry has been portrayed as a complete wimp and Gio, has become quite the hero, my opinion has changed. But what really won me over was Gio's haircut post strike. Thank you, to the folks in the hair department, you have succeeded in completely turning my head. That's enough on Ugly Betty, I can't believe I have even said this much.

Now that Dancing with the Stars is done and the season finale of Ugly Betty is this Thursday, I can go back to my normal routine, which is not watching any TV at all except for the occasional tune in to cable news and c-span.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I watch Ugly Betty too! I think you're the first person I know that watches it besides me. Of course I'm still trying to catch up on the pre-strike episodes so that I can watch the post-strike ones. This post just inspired me to force Tim to pull them up on the DVR (he controls the remote for the most part.) He doesn't get quite as excited about the show as I do. :)

The Tones of the Zarcone's said...

I also love these shows! I was so happy that both Kristi and Jason were the final two - and yea for Kristi! She is so genuine and I am happy she won. Yea!!!

As for Ugly Betty - it is a guilty pleasure and you are right, thank goodness for online TV. That is the only reason I have remained caught up with these two shows since Eleana was born!

xoxo,
C

Melissa said...

You are so funny. I won't tell you the show Jeff and I watch every week. It is funny the little addictions we get. I am not one for TV either but I have loved Dancing with the Stars. A.I. is ok once in awhile.