Monday, December 08, 2008

Early Annivesary Celebration

Matt and I were married five days before Christmas. It wasn't my ideal anniversary date. I didn't like it being so close to Christmas. But Matt was in law school and that's when he had a break. So that's our anniversary. Consequently, in many ways our anniversary has been sort of an afterthought - lost in the Christmas season.

This year, I was determined to actually celebrate it. How lucky are we to have friends who share the exact same wedding day as us (same year and everything!) Since they, like us, have always failed to really celebrate their anniversary, we agreed to do a 24 hour child swap. So Friday night, we dropped the girls off at their place and didn't see them again until 8pm Saturday night. It was so WONDERFUL! I loved being with Matt for 24 hours, not having to take care of the girls and just enjoying my best friend's company.

What did we do with those precious 24 hours? We started by going to Matt's work Christmas party Friday night (held at the Ritz, very chic), the best part for me was the chocolate tarts from the dessert buffet. We woke up naturally without the help of little girls. (Truly the best part of the bargain). We went to the Newseum downtown, followed by the USAF Christmas concert at Constitution Hall, and finally, to dinner at Macaroni Grill.

What a fabulous break. And the best part was that Ellie and Annie had a wonderful time with their little friend, Emily. And reportedly, they were well behaved too. You know, I think it's funny. Before I had kids there was nothing I wanted more. Now, sometimes all I really want is a little break from my kids. Of course, I love my girls like crazy and I wouldn't want to do anything else but to be a full time mom. But I am incredibly grateful that I had those 24 hours to spend with Matt alone to remember why we started this wonderful family in the first place. Thanks to Maryanne & Scott. We can't wait to have Emily sleepover.

1 comment:

Dianah said...

That sounds like fun! The reason you picked that day reminds me why my mom says my parents got married when they did...between general conference and deer hunting season. That's my dad for you. Happy anniversary!