One of Ellie's Christmas presents this year has been a little refrigerator magnet toy that helps her learn how to spell words. It has all the letters of the alphabet and has spaces to make up to three letter words. She really likes it. I've discovered that she is really close to learning how to read. She already knows all of her letters and their sounds. And now, she can figure out how to spell simple words. When we're in the kitchen together, we work on it. I will pick a three letter word like big or mud or whatever. I say it to her, then she figures out how to spell it.
This usually how it goes.
Shelly: Ellie can you spell mud? What letter does it start with? mmmmud.
Ellie: M
Shelly: That's right, put an M in. What is the next letter? Muuuuuud.
Ellie: U
Shelly: That's right, find the U and put it in. What's the next letter? Mudddddd.
Ellie: D
So of course I am over pronouncing the letters but she's totally getting it. She can spell lots of different words that way. I can't believe how much she knows. She hasn't quite gotten to the point where she can look at a word and sound it out (although she does recognize her name and Mom, Dad, and Annie by sight) but I think reading will start coming along too.
2 comments:
Hooked on phonics worked for me! IT is a nice little program for 30 bucks...Luke has had alot of success with it and they have PK and K and upwards...if she knows sounds I would get the Kindergarten one when you are ready. Awesome!!!
This is what I mean when I say that if kids get to kindergarden and actually learn anything, their parents should be shot. Kids are such little sponges and ready to learn. If they don't know their letters and sounds by age 5, there is some serious neglect (or learning disability) going on.
Good for you, Shelly!
Post a Comment