Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Snitch Police

I am probably the least fun person to bake with and I'll tell you why. I am opposed to snitching. I can't stand it when people stick their fingers into the dough. It drives me crazy. I think my crazed opposition stems from a bad experience I had as a preteen when I made cookies one time and ate way too much dough and got really, really sick - throwing up like twice (which for me is saying something, as I have a stomach of steel and never get sick). Anyway, that one experience turned me off from snitching almost completely.

To this day, I only have a very small taste (probably less than a teaspoon) of cookie dough or brownie batter or what have you when I am baking.* And I stop anyone around me from having it too. It's not just that I don't want them to get sick. I don't want them to lessen the amount of baked cookies we are going to have as well. I'm pretty sure Matt doesn't really enjoy baking with me. And poor Ellie doesn't know what she's missing. And it's not just stopping straying hands from getting into the dough, I am very thorough with my rubber spatula to be sure that every bit of batter or dough possible is used. I know, so OCD. But when I have everything done, I do let Ellie lick the beaters, bowls, etc. So I'm not the worse person ever. But Matt would have you know that that is simply not enough.

I'm thinking of this right now because I just made some cookies for my bookclub yesterday afternoon and spent time fending Ellie off. Also this weekend Matt and I made brownies and he was very frustrated when I left very little batter in the bowl to snack on. What can I say? Am I the only one in the world who feels this way? Are there others who disdain grabby hands diminishing the lovely baked end product? Is there a support group for such comrades? If not, let it begin. Non-snitchers Unite!

*My exception is biscuit dough. Perhaps because it doesn't have raw egg in it. I LOVE to eat that. It is yummy!

6 comments:

The Tones of the Zarcone's said...

I wish that I could say that I keep my fingers out of the batter (unless I am baking for others outside my family, I am then very considerate and wait until the end to lick the bowl), but to be honest, sometimes that is the whole reason I even BAKE! I love the batter!

I think there is nothing wrong with your method of baking. It is safer and much more sanitary. :) Like you said, it isn't like you are denying Ellie the experience of licking the bowl. That is just as fun for her as a kid as anything else!

Andrea said...

i like to have a taste, but i cannot stand my kids dipping in and licking, then dipping back in - YUCK!

Anonymous said...

I have to say I'm with you Shelly! Brian has slowly been loosening me up over the years though. It really has nothing to do with being safe or sanitary, but diminishing the amount of baked goods. Why go to all the work when you'll only have half the amount of cookies?!?! I do like brownie batter and therefore am probably not as OCD with the spatula!

Matt Astle said...

There's a reason the Ben & Jerry's flavors are Brownie BATTER and cookie DOUGH. THAT'S what people like to eat, more than brownies and cookies. The uncooked version is just as good as, if not better than, the cooked version.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Matt, the dough is the best part. I am known to undercook brownies so that they are kind of done, but mostly not and Jeff always tells me that I have to put them back in the oven:) I am a batter lover and I admit it.

Tammy said...

I never snitch and don't let Emma either. For me it is about being sanitary. I can't stand the thought of people giving me cookies when their children have been all dipping in it. Plus raw egg can cause serious illness. If you must have raw cookie dough you can buy the kind in the refridgerator becuse it is safe to eat. Yes I did research it. I guess Emma is missing out on the licking experience oh well.