Thursday, January 08, 2009

My Most Useful Talent

I am subbing for our organist at church this Sunday. My astute readers will note that Matt and I both filled in for the primary pianist last week. Additionally, I did not mention here that I also pinch hit for our pianist in relief society last week as well.

This is all to say that I can state without equivocation that learning to play the piano (especially the hymns of the church) is by far the most useful thing I have ever learned. My parents didn't have a lot of money, but they made sure that each of their children had a significant amount of years of piano training. I can think of no other extracurricular activity that is more vital than piano lessons. Nothing else compares. It is the basis of every other instrument. I firmly believe that no other musical instruction should come before it and really no other extracurricular activity should either.

Of course, I'm a music person, so I understand that others feel differently. But I tell you, its nice to be able to agree to fill in at church and not have to worry about how I will sound. Not that I am all that good. I'm not. But I can get by with no notice and with some heads up, I can even play most of the hymns well. I'm so grateful that my mother made sure that I stuck with piano even when I hated practicing. I have every intention of ensuring that all of my children gain the same experience. They will never regret it.

3 comments:

MBusse said...

We had our staff Christmas party at the Lt. Governor's house this year. When some people wanted to gather around and sing carols, Mrs. Bolling asked if anyone played the piano. Everyone (no exaggeration) whipped their head's over to me. I had to use the "I'm a convert" excuse. I didn't realize the outside world knows that piano skills abound in the LDS world.

It seems, though, that even at Church the number of people who play is on the decline.

Becca said...

I TOTALLY feel the same way. Of course, I'm the only pianist/organist our branch has. It's a good thing they have the programmable pianos in Young Women's and Relief Society. Our branch president jokingly told us that our moved was canceled because no organist had moved into the branch yet. So, we wait . . . :) [I have heard a number of people comment that they took lessons when they were younger but don't play - ugh! For this I am grateful my parents made me stick with it as well.]

Melissa said...

I break into a cold sweat whenever anyone at church learns I've had piano training. I am always quick to tell them that I CAN'T play when people are singing or I'll mess up. I really should practice more hymns so I can be useful. Knowing how to play piano is a very useful talent.