Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Pulling the Plug

We finally did it. We took the binkie away from Ellie. She has been binkie free during the day for almost a year (when she turned one). But we have let her have the binkie during her naps and at night - essentially while she is in her crib. I began realizing that she was becoming quite attached to it when she learned the word "binkie" and started requesting it every time we rocked her to sleep.

So since we are expecting another baby in only 8 weeks. I knew that we needed to ban the binkie soon or we would have an even harder time later. Fortunately, Ellie has adjusted really well. She had a rough time going to sleep the first night. She cried three times over the course of two hours before she fell asleep. But other than that, the removal has gone without a hitch. I'm so proud of her. Each time she has asked for the binkie (which hasn't been too often) I just tell her that the binkie is "all gone" and she repeats "binkie all gone" and then says "bye, bye, binkie" and that seems to be all there is to it. I think she just understands that binkies are no longer a part of her life. What a sweet, adjustable girl. We just love her.

Now if only I could guarantee such an easy transition when her new baby sister shows up.

No comments: