This year I got two coats for Christmas this year.
Technically, Matt gave me a coat last year (but I didn't buy it until this year). We have this funny way of giving each other gifts sometimes. We'll ask for something and instead of actually getting it, we'll get a picture of it and the "licence" to go ahead and buy it. This method works really well on gifts that require personalization. For instance this year Matt wanted a new watch. Rather than me going all over town trying to find a watch that he may or may not like, I just printed off a picture of a watch from online and that was his present. On Christmas day, he searched the internet for the perfect watch for him and it is now on its way to our house. It works great.
Anyway, that's what I got last year - a picture of a new coat. I have been needing a new one for a while. My old one was falling apart - holes in the pockets, etc. But then I never really got around to buying it. And once I was ready to buy it, it was springtime and there wasn't really a need for it. So this year, I bought the coat that I was supposed to get last year. I even broke my usual color rules when it comes to outerwear and bought a red coat. Can you believe it, I actually bought a coat that isn't black? I'm shocked as well. Matt was thrilled; I don't know how he convinced me to do it.
Not only that, but I bought a dress coat for myself as well. I have wanted one of these for a very long time. I always feel a little out of place when I got to formal things in the wintertime and I show up wearing my regular everyday coat which is more of a sportscoat rather than a dressy nice coat. The worst is going to Matt's firm's big holiday party every year. Last year, I felt so conspicuous about it I borrowed a coat from a friend. Determined to end this, I went shopping yesterday in search of a long wool dress coat hoping for some incredible day-after Christmas sales.
I've never really been much of a clothes horse. And my friends know that I have hardly any designer clothing. I just don't see the reason for spending a whole lot of money on clothes. But I will tell you that as I was shopping in Macy's, I saw the most beautiful, soft, black wool coat I have ever seen. It was Calvin Klein and it was gorgeous. And on sale too - 50% off, but the original price was $500. I don't think I was too seriously tempted to buy it, but it did help that there wasn't a coat in my size.
I ended up finding a very nice coat at JCPenney's for much cheaper and 60% off. Maybe not as nice as the Calvin Klein, but still it's very pretty.
So now I am completely outfitted for cold weather. Thanks to many folks who contributed to the actual gifts I have a new sportscoat, hat, gloves, scarf, and wool dress coat. I'm sure to be both warm and stylish in the cold.
No comments:
Post a Comment