Saturday, December 15, 2007

Pops!

Two nights in a row found me in the Kennedy Center - DC's premier performing arts venue. The first night was to see the National Symphony Orchestra pops Christmas Concert. It was a terrific show. Poor Matt loves the symphony, and I admit I'm usually not too interested in attending the symphony. The one exception is their pops concerts. I love pops concerts because I know and enjoy the songs they play. I love Christmas music so this was a great fit for me.

And while it wasn't Dvorak, or Berlioz, Matt was pleased to attend a live performance - and even made the comment along the lines of "Hearing a live performance makes me realize I listen to the iPod too much." And he's right - nothing competes to the sound of a full orchestra and chorus filling a large concert hall with glorious music. For me that effect was most noticeable when they performed O Holy Night which was the highlight of the concert for me. This song has always been my favorite Christmas song. Not only is it absolutely beautiful, but to me it encompasses the true reason for Christmas - "Christ is the Lord, forever praise we, his power and glory ever more proclaim." Anyway, the Washington Chorus (a large choral group that we are actually seeing perform next Saturday) sang while the NSO played. It was amazing. I felt surrounded by beautiful music.

Other great highlights included:

a few songs performed by an a capella group (I always enjoy hearing a capella groups perform, it's amazing what they can do with just their voices, love the harmonies),

the sing-along (it's fun to stand and sing Christmas carols with hundreds of other people while being backed up by a full orchestra),

the Channukah Lights song (the Jewish director wrote this song just recently and it was really very beautiful),

and of course, the encore performance of Sleigh Ride because really, why go to the symphony at Christmastime if they don't play Sleigh Ride?

All in all, it was a great night. And it was really nice to get a night off from the girls and be with my sweetheart.

No comments: