I dragged Ellie and Annie to an outlet mall about 30 minutes away from our house to do some returns and exchanges from Christmas. It was quite the excursion. Growing up, I always considered going to the mall as a very special treat, probably because we lived very far away from one. To me it seemed that rich people went to the mall and if you were really rich you would stop and eat at the food court too (we never did that).
As an adult, I go to the mall much more often (the nearest one is less than 2 miles away and has a Target - so of course I go), but I rarely buy food or go to just look around and browse. But today I didn't want Ellie to get cranky since we had a lot of stores to stop at so I decided that I would treat her to my biggest childhood mall dream - eating in the food court. After all of our returns, we enjoyed McDonalds (still not much of a splurge).
When I was in junior high I really wanted a best friend. I had friends, but not a really, really special best friend, and I really wanted one. As I was sitting with Ellie and we dipped our shared french fries in sweet and sour sauce* with Annie sleeping quietly, I realized that I have two of the cutest best friends ever, and they aren't moving away for a really long time. We are going to have so much fun as the years go by. In my minds' eye I saw us doing lots of fun girly things - movies, manicures, eating out, etc. Having Annie seems to make the whole girly fun complete. Ellie already adores her. And though I realize that there will of course be fights, I hope they grow up to be inseparable. I'm looking forward to that time.
*who needs ketchup when you have sweet and sour sauce. That's what I say.
2 comments:
That is a touching thought. I wouldn't trade my sister and our childhood girly fun for anything in the world. Enjoy it!- Julie
That is so sweet. I'm hoping our two will be friends. Sometimes it doesn't seem like it is going in that direction with all the hurting and pushing that goes on. Jeff told me you guys are coming to our house. We are really excited. Good luck with your travels. You are very brave to bring both across the country. If you are going alone, bring lots of dollars for tips. I need lots of help when I am alone with two.
Post a Comment