Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Ellie Loves to See the Temple

We went to the Washington DC temple on Sunday to see the Christmas light display and the Mormon Choir of Washington (MCOW) perform. It was a wonderful trip. Ellie was so thrilled to see all of the Christmas lights - she was completely mesmerized. They always do such a beautiful job with the lights. I feel so fortunate to live in a place with the visitors center is so active in putting on a great Christmas celebration.

They have concerts every night. Matt was especially interested in attending this concert as he was once a member of the MCOW back in his single days before law school. Ellie behaved fairly well during the concert - requiring only one removal to get a drink from the drinking fountain. It helped that we had a friend in the choir who not only sang, but played the flute and piccolo. We just kept pointing her out and that kept Ellie interested. The choir did a fabulous job. I particularly liked a native African piece they performed that employed a myriad of percussion instruments.

Another favorite for Ellie was the live nativity outside. She was completely enthralled with it. I think she would have stood there for hours watching. She was very sad to leave "baby Jesus." Matt had to drag her away.

And of course, she didn't want to leave the actual temple grounds at all. She kept saying "I see Christmas lights, I see baby Jesus, I see Ryan (our friends' little boy who was there as well)" She was so sad. Annie was crying too. Such was our ride home - one wailing baby and one whining 2-yr-old. So this is what it's really like to be a family. Still it was fun and we're still planning to go to at least two other concerts this month so we'll have plenty of other opportunities to enjoy the Christmas festivities at the temple.



2 comments:

Sabrina said...

Hmmm - I thought you came to the temple specifically for me! :) I am glad you enjoyed it - it was an emotionally draining day (we ended up performing 4 concerts total!)

Jill said...

I love the picture of Ellie looking at the Nativity... priceless!