Monday, August 03, 2009

Love Urgent Care

So Saturday night didn't go exactly the way I thought it would. It started out well enough. We dropped this kids off for the babysitting swap and headed out for our date. Matt and I tied in a killer mini golf course that kicked our trash. We finished just as the rain began to pour down. Then we headed over to Noodles & Co to get some free pasta we won on the 4th of July. (I got their mac n cheese, which is incredibly tasty). We spent a good hour eating and musing over potential names for the baby. Finally we headed home for a little nap before picking up the girls. What we didn't know was that Ellie ended up sobbing the final 30 minutes of the swap. Matt went to pick up the girls and the first thing Ellie said (through buckets of tears) is "I want Mama."

Turns out, she had a sore ear and didn't tell the people watching her. Instead she just cried and cried and kept saying she wanted her mama. She didn't even tell Matt that her ear hurt until they were well on the way home.

So she and I headed out to the only urgent care center around that is open 24/7 (thank you!) some 6 miles away. There is an emergency room just up the street from us, but there is no way I am paying the $100 copay just for them to diagnose an ear infection. So off we went.

And indeed, an ear infection was all it was. By the time we got through the urgent care clinic and the incredibly slow 24 hour pharmacy, it was nearly 11pm. Poor Ellie had fallen asleep on my lap at the pharmacy. When they called our name, I picked her up, carried her to the counter, paid for the antibiotics, and carried her to the car without her even stirring. No small feat considering she weighs some 40 lbs and I'm 4 months pregnant. She was so tired. She even took a nap the following day which rarely happens anymore.

So everything is cool now. All in a days work, I guess. Thank goodness for modern medicine.

3 comments:

MBusse said...

Oh :-(

Bless her poor little heart. What a champ you are, Shel to get everything taken care of that late.

I almost find it very endearing that you were the only one she wanted to share her trial with.

Matt Astle said...

That's because you weren't the dad who was greeted with "I want Mama!," Busse.

MBusse said...

Sorry Matt. I'm sure that stung.

On the flip side, one day when she's plucked out a melody on the ivories or tried her first case, you're going to be the one she wants to share it with. :-)