Monday, August 10, 2009

Week 18 Thoughts and Goings On

Here we are at week 18 in this pregnancy. Yippie! I haven't felt the baby inside me yet. But that will probably happen in the next few weeks. We find out gender in less than two weeks. I am excited to find out. That way I can know what kind of preparation I'm going to make. I'm such a planner. If it's a girl, I'll just have to pick out a different color to knit her baby blanket.* But if it's a boy, I'll start knitting his blanket, and introducing myself to the world of baby boy clothes. I might even have to accept orange as an acceptable color to wear, though I doubt it.

Today is supposed to be one of the hottest days of the year - humid and nearing 100 degrees. We probably had it coming as this summer has been one of the mildest I can remember in DC. So I am avoiding the outside as much as possible. Despite the fact that the weather has been pretty great this summer, I am very anxious for fall. I am ready for the cooler weather and for the fact that the quicker the fall comes the quicker this baby comes.

Some friends last night asked that now that I am 18 weeks pregnant has the fun part worn off? It got me thinking about how I feel about this pregnancy. I don't want to sound like I am not incredibly grateful to be having another baby. I really am very happy; it such a wonderful blessing. But this time around, I can't help but think of pregnancy, in general, as a huge hassle (just the pregnancy part, not having the baby!) When I was pregnant with my first two, I wasn't very irritated by pregnancy. Or at least, that's what I remember. This time around I just think "Ah man, I have to go through all of this junk again?!?! Dang it. Why can't it just be easier?" Of course it can't be easier, that's not how it works. And of course, having a new baby is worth everything you go through to get it. Still.

Matt has begun a series of posts about the naming process we go through when we have a baby. Take a look at his blog here and here. He articulates the whole process very well and I don't feel the need to add or detract. In the future I might have more to say on naming, but he's being pretty thorough. On the subject of song names, thanks to all who offered suggestions. Interestingly enough, the very night I made the post, I thought of two title names for girls that we had actually considered when we were pregnant with Ellie - Georgia and Kyrie. If we do go with song names, those would be at the top of my list, especially Georgia - no not because of John Mayer's song (so not a fan of him), more like "Georgia on my Mind," "Midnight Train to Georgia," and "Sweet George Brown." We'll see how the whole naming thing goes down. I still believe that we analyze names more than the average parent.

I haven't mentioned this yet on my blog, but I in June I was called to be the primary president in our ward. This means that I am in charge of the organization that serves all of the children in our church congregation ages 18 months to 12 years old. I was surprised when I was asked to fill the calling (or more like, when I figured out that I was being called, since I clued in a few days before the calling was extended). There's no question that there is a ton to do for the calling - staffing seems to be the biggest challenge (making sure we have teachers and leaders in every class and in the nursery.) We have tons of activities going on from baptisms, activities, the sacrament meeting program, scouts - just a lot of balls to keep up in the air. Thankfully, I have wonderful counselors and secretary. They do so many things to make everything work. And I have great teachers too. I spend more time talking to my bishop than I have in the past. And if there's anyone I really feel for its him. Wow! Does he carry the ward on his shoulders?!? I have nothing to complain about in comparison to him. And to my knowledge, he doesn't complain.

So that's been keeping me busy too.

*Though I've noticed as the girls are getting older, hand me downs don't work as well. The more the girls have worn the clothes the more the clothes are, well, worn out. Fortunately this isn't so much the case with the infant clothes because babies usually grow through them so fast, but beginning with clothes 9 months size and larger, I think I will need to get some new girl clothes, if we do indeed have another one.

3 comments:

Vickie said...

I hate being pregnant, but I love babies. My first two weren't so bad, but the last two pregnancies were awful. Maybe it has something to do with getting older or just having so much more to do.
I'm sure you are an awesome primary president. I've been in primary presidencies before, and I loved it. I just got called to be a Sunbeam teacher again, and it is my favorite place to be!

Ryann said...

My mom just arrived last night and is really happy to have gotten out of DC right before the hot weather hit!

A friend of mine was called a few months ago as our primary pres. and she had just been the primary pres. in her last ward. She thinks it is so much easier here because there is no scouting. I don't think people realize how much work scouting is!

But I bet you are great at it!

Becca said...

Congratulations on your 'new' calling! It really is a fun one and maybe one of my favorites. I just remember walking out my first Sunday as PP thinking 'what did I get myself into?!' But, even though we sometimes have tough days, it is all worth it when the kids just get up on a whim and come give me a hug, then sit down again. I love it!!