Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Crowns: Earned or Otherwise

A quick glance at the Miss America photos this morning showed me that Miss Utah wore a one piece during the swimsuit portion of the competition last night. Good for her. I am impressed that she did, especially considering that it probably didn't help her chances of advancing. Go Miss Utah. At least someone has the courage to not totally expose yourself for the sake of a crown.

Speaking of crowns, I just finished reading The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. It is a young adult fiction fantasy about a princess who doesn't want her title until it is stolen from her. Only then does she realize that she wants it after all, but now she has to fight for it. It's apparently a Grimm Brothers' fairy tale. I liked the story - it had a lot of good things going on - evil plots, disguise, love, and victory. But I didn't like the "fantasy" parts of it. The princess can talk to animals and the wind and make them do things. I just think that kind of stuff is silly. This is why, in general, I like non-fiction books so much more than fiction. I don't want to read about things that cannot happen. I like to read about things that can happen and do happen. I don't mind fiction books that stay within the realm of possibility, but when they start doing weird things, I have issues. That being said, for some reason I'm not bothered by the Harry Potter books. In fact, I LOVE them. I'm not sure why, but they are the exception to my rule.

Thankfully, the next book up to read for me is Jane Austen's Persuasion - a fabulous novel of fiction that is still believable!

No comments: